Oct 5, 2010

St. Ignace, Michigan. The Mystery Spot.



I was very excited to take a look across the vast lake, but it wouldn't take my quarter!


    "In the early 1950’s, 3 surveyors named Clarence, Fred and McCray came from California to explore the Upper Peninsula.  They stumbled across an area of land where their surveying equipment didn’t seem to work properly.  For instance, no matter how many times they tried to level their tripod, through the use of a plum-bob or level, the plum-bob would always be drawn far to the east, even as the level was reading level.  As they continued their research of this land, they noticed a constant feeling of being light-headed.  Later, realizing their queasiness and problems with the surveying equipment only occurred in an area about 300 feet in diameter, they felt they had discovered a “Mystery Spot”." Stolen from their website. 


It was all a LIE! 


Here they show you how everything is level.
I was way excited, telling my dad about them. Before I could even tell him the mind boggling details, he was like, 
"oh yeah, they build it on the side of a hill, everything is slanted, they put you on concrete and tell you it's level, then do all these optical illusions. . . "


Optical Illusions?!?! 
Here I was thinking this was a phenomenon, 
but no,
 Dad then said "I went to one when I was five in Iowa."
Sigh.



It really did feel like I was being pulled backwards.



This was totally more comfortable.


After our little tour, i run up to the next customers deciding what they should do. Me, being the super, excited, naive, person I am, "Go do the tour! It' awesome, blah blah blah."

Now I am a much smarter person and less naive.
But it really was super COOL.

The Mystery Spot also had Zip Lines, which, i was expecting more greenery and long zippy lines.
Nonetheless, we always have fun.



There is a giant bridge that goes across the lake to the main part of Michigan.
Which we rode.





Really, go to these spots, if you ever come by one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis