Apr 11, 2014

How to make ANY bra into a Nursing Bra



I could have sworn I had blogged about this with Aiko, but I can't seem to find it.  I've blogged about Bra problems before, so forgive me that, yet, once again, I do.  (Actually, just found it here. )  Why even blog about this?  Well, there are bras and then there are bras.  Then, there are nursing bras (or pieces of fabric that don't do anything and make you look frumpy) and then there are extremely expensive nursing bras.  So, why not use the bras you love and turn them into nursing bras.   Fulfilling all your nursing dreams....


Anyways, these bras are my favorite brand.  I've only been able to find them at Dillard's, which I annually purchase on the New Year's Day Sale.  Instead of $40 per bra (which is $20 per boob, in case you were wondering) I spend anywhere from $12-$19.  Yes, I have some funny colored, printed ones, but read those three points above and you will see why.  As a short Asian girl who is always in need of serious boobage support, I am extremely particular about my bras.  Yes, there are those bras that are pretty and super cute, but the above are meant to do something more substantial.  

Hold up boobs.


Yes, serious, substantial work is done with these bras.  Though the band may have 12 hooks and almost as wide as my back, you won't see any side boobage coming out. 

But let's get back to the real purpose of showing you these.  As I am four days past my due date with my little boy, I have yet to really utilize these nursing bras.  Sure, the day is coming anytime soon, so it's a good thing we finished these last week.  

What you will need to make any bra into a nursing bra.

Scissors
2 Swim Suit Bra Hooks per bra (Metal ones of course)
Bras
Pliers/Metal Snips
1 Mama to actually do the work.
10 minutes or less per bra


I got these hooks at Hancock Fabric, but (Amazon has them as well)and purchased with a coupon. 


Most bras have these little metal/plastic connectors (?)  At least, all of mine always have, but again, remember, big boob problems here. I'm sure this will work with most bras.  Technically, you don't have to cut the actual bra strap like we did below, but it doesn't really matter. 


Use your pliers/snips and cut off that connector on both sides.


I had a few bras I purchased at Dillard's this year.  I bought three different sizes...which I'm not going to tell you what size, but you never know when you breastfeed how big things may get.  


The sewing doesn't have to be pretty or even match in color. (at least I never worry about it.)  My mama chose a zigzag and she was cursing my sewing machine.  It isn't just me that can't get it to work properly!  Take the strap that comes off your shoulder and slip it through the non hook section.  Fold it over and run through the sewing machine.  I like my hooks to face out towards my arms for nursing.  I have one bra that goes the opposite way and it came unhooked a few times. 


There you have it!  A simple way to change any bra into a nursing bra. Because, again, there are bras and the there are real bras. (Sorry, I'm not going to model them for you. )

2 comments:

  1. I love this! I don't have the quite the problem you do but I do go through five separate sizes from pre pregnancy to nursing and back to normal. Nice to know there's a way to not spend a fortune on nursing bras. .. especially since I'll have worn mine for almost Three years now since my kids are so close in age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Thanks for helping out the big chested ladies out there like me! :)

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis