Jan 18, 2015

Kids room.


I've been trying to keep on on this blog, plus The Salt Project and I've found it's kind of hard.  So on of my goals for this year is to always write a post on Sunday.  I can't even remember when these photos were taken, but judging on how chubby little man is, it was probably in November or so.  He was just helping dad build some new dressers.   The dresser in the kids room was the one I used as a kid.  It was done.  It was a good dresser, even a cute one, but it was time to do get something bigger.  It took me a while to plan it all out, mainly because the kids share a room, that really isn't that big, and both of them still need to be in a cage crib.


Brother is excited to show you his new dressers. 

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20280599/

We got them from Ikea (of course).  It seems that everything is slower transitioning over to IKEA.  It's kind of hard to beat the prices, plus you can paint your own, plus it's hard to thrift for such specific items sometimes.  We also really like wandering through the store for whatever reason too.  The only reason I started taking pictures of their room is because we were all playing in Brother's crib and I noticed how bright the whole room is.  It would make an awesome plant room, it seems to be the only room to get some much light!


These kids are kind of starting to get along,  Aiko just seems to ignore him, unless he's talking when she is trying to sleep.  She'll yell at him when he starts babbling around 7 AM from her little closet crib and say "Brother, stop it, stop, stop it!"  While it's not exactly always nice sounding, it is kind of hilarious.  Poor kid just gets bossed by her already.  (I've also been trying really hard to not say "Stop it" to Aiko as well.)

 

I had originally planned on putting two cribs up in their room, but there just isn't enough space.  My cousin sent me a photo of a dresser that someone built into a closet, but then I realized we could totally make it into a crib.  While I love these old style closets, I don't love it in the kids room, too much wasted space in the middle.  As a bed, it's awesome.  

At first, it was really sad to put my 1 year old in the closet instead of her crib, now, it's her safe haven.  She loves it.  I found a bunch of cushions at the thrift store long ago and my friend covered them for me.  I had plans of using them outside on our deck, but decided they fit perfectly into the closet crib.  The closet crib doesn't fit a baby mattress, so we had to find something different.  Derek found this mesh baby gate thing and it wedges in there perfectly.  Honestly, she could not get out unless she climbed.  She's not really keen on climbing, so she'll be in there for a while. 

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20280599/

Just a few random things.  I made this ceramic owl, which is a bank, that can only be open by hammer.  The little elephant is from Aiko's birthday party.  I thought the hats were so cute that I should save him!

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90219612/

While I these dressers were unfinished, I really hate picking colors.  I just feel like they are SOOOO permanent.  Or rather, I'm just too lazy to go and paint them again, so I wanted to find something that was neutral plus could be used for years to come and still be cool. My color inspiration came from  the Various Varieties of Vegetables print in our home.  


Isn't it fabulous?  I do love my veggies.  Especially when it's made so pretty!



So, that's how we chose the colors.  But then the what to paint and not to paint?!  Ugh.  So many choices that will forever change to world as we know it right?  Does anyone else ever feel like it's SUCH a big deal when it has no right being so?  So much color drama, but it's my life. 

I'm all for painting everything, while the husband is not so.  So we compromised and I REALLY like the outcome.  Random, yet not, colorful, gender neutral.  It's a good thing the dressers came with knobs too, because knobs are a WHOLE different ballgame of color decision drama.  I had some iron owl ones (I know, owls are so out.) but I just liked the little bit of quirkiness. 


http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90219612/

Hopefully, the kids do too.  I hope they have similar tastes to me, because otherwise, we could have a war on our hands.  

Other random notes:
While I don't approve of dolls, because I don't like playing dolls, I did have my mom make these super cute dolls for Aiko.  When Orion was born I felt like she NEEDED them.  I thought she would be cuddling and holding them, but really, she only cares for her beloved monkey, so they make for super cute decoration. (Don't even get me started on how hard it was choosing material and colors for them.)

Also, let's talk about this cross stitch my sister Hannah did for the kids room.  SO COOL right?   While she claims to not be crafty, she certainly is advancing into a crafter at an alarming rate. 

Other posts I did on the kids room.  Here.  Here. I've noticed that I completely change the room.  All the time.

1 comment:

ShareThis