May 6, 2014

Birdseed Breakfast or Granola



I've had a few people ask for this granola recipe. I fondly call it my "Birdseed Breakfast."


I originally found this recipe on Pinterest (of course) but as always, I never can follow a recipe completely.  I keep a bunch of different grains/seeds handy, as I buy them in bulk from WinCo or Smith's.  I actually use them as a kind of a decoration.  I have jars and jars full of different grains, nuts, seeds, and beans.  Love me some dual purpose items.  




Anyways, I really love this granola, I've made it twice in the last 3 weeks.  Granola from the store is always so expensive!  Plus, you don't really get any good things in it (like nuts and fruits) and if you actually look at the ingredients...it's not really healthy for you either.  I always figure if I don't know what the ingredient is, I probably shouldn't eat it.  These ingredients are simple, and I know exactly what I'm putting in my granola.  

Now, I'm putting down measurements, but just be aware, I always change recipes around.  I feel that this recipe is a good put-whatever-you-have-laying-around.  Which, is kind of how I got to my recipe.  I just added this seed, some of this grain, some of these nuts.  You see what I'm saying?


Birdseed Breakfast Granola 

3 c. rolled oats (not instant)
2/3 c. nuts (I used pecans and almonds but again, I would use any I had in the house)
1 c. millet/flax seed/sesame seeds/pumpkin seeds  (I kind of mix these all together or if you really need exact measurements used 1/4 c. for each.)
1 c. coconut unsweetened (I've used chips/shredded.)
Pinch of salt
1/2 c. coconut oil
1/2 c. honey
1 tsp. vanilla (I was just thinking that almond extract would make this yummy too.)
1 c. dried fruit.   

Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl, except for the dried fruit.  In a saucepan melt the coconut oil, honey, vanilla and salt.  Pour over the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly until coated evenly.  Place on a cookie sheet and spread evenly.  Bake at 325 for 15 minutes and then stir. Bake another 15 minutes and then stir once again.  I've done this up to 3 times to get a nice golden color on the granola.   Allow to cool. 

Once it's cool I place it in different jars.  I like to keep my raisins and other dried fruit separate until I'm ready to eat some granola. The millet adds a nice crunch to it.  I've added bananas, craisins and raisins.  All delicious. 

*I have always doubled the recipe and get two cookie pans full.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis